Thursday, October 25, 2012

Fayetteville, North Carolina

Stanley traveled to Fayetteville, North Carolina to visit with Robby's family.  We were very excited to receive the following letter from Stanley upon his arrival:



Hello Ms Lewis' 4th grade!
I made it all the way from PA to North Carolina!  Robby Heinrich's family was so glad to see me!  There are two teenagers (Jack & Lauren) , 2 dogs, 3 cats, a FLOCK OF CHICKENS, a mom (Mrs. Walton)  and a dad (Lt. Col. Walton, US Army, Special Forces) at this home. (It's kind of a zoo here!!)
When I got here it was a little rainy and about 45°.  Can you believe they were complaining about how cold it was?!  45°!!   (You can tell I'm not in Pittsburgh anymore!)
Apparently I have big plans tomorrow already!  First, I'm going to school with Mrs Walton, Robby's aunt. She teaches 2nd grade at Fayetteville Christian School in Fayetteville, NC.  It's Homecoming week at FCS.  For the 2nd grade, it's Career Day tomorrow.  I guess I have to think about what I want to be tonight so I can dress up with her class!  Maybe I will even get to hang out with Jack & Lauren tomorrow in the middle & high school.  It's Decades Day for them.  That's something else I will have to think about tonight. One day...2 outfits!
Lt Col Walton said to "GET READY, Soldier!"  He's having BDU's especially made for my visit to Fort Bragg on Thursday!!  (I learned that BDU means Battle Dress Uniform...that's Camo, guys!! I get to be in the Army!!  Hoooo-Ahhhh!!)
Did you know Fort Bragg is the home of the Special Forces & the 82nd Airborne Division?  There are SO many military families around here! Lots if kids have a parent who is still fighting in the war. Some of them don't get to be with their mom or dad for a year at a time.  Yikes!!!
I have to say, I'm a bit nervous.  Lt Col Walton is a Green Beret.  He has fought in Afghanistan & Iraq lots of times!  But he said we're not deploying this week!  :0/  I will send some "Top Secret" pics of myself from Fort Bragg!!
Well guys, I'm kind of tired from the trip & very excited about my next few days with Robby's family.  I better get some rest.  I checked above the bed. There are no bulletin boards! Whew.... I can relax...  Not that I can get any flatter!
For now..."Rodger, Over & Out" from Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, NC! And thanks, Robby!  I'm really excited about this adventure!!

The Walton's sure did show Stanley a good time!  It was extremely exciting to see their pictures come in!  

Stanley dressed up as an astronaut for career day.  Maybe Neil Armstrong inspired him when he was in Purdue?  He was extremely excited to see his book in Mrs. Walton's classroom!  Stanley had fun at recess, too!  



Stanley didn't let us down on Sports Day -- he was sure to wear his Steeler's shirt!  



He even got to go to school with cousin Lauren & experience Decades Day!  


Thursday finally came & Stanley put on his special BDU's for his adventure to Ft. Bragg.  Lt. Col. Walton showed him around to many important things on the base.  


Here is Iron Mike with Lt. Lambchop.  Iron Mike is over 30 feet tall!  He is very well known in the army.  He was built to remember soldiers who fought for our country!


Stanley even got to see a statue of General Shelton.  Gen. Shelton was a war hero!  His statue is not as big as Iron Mike, but it's still bigger than Stanley!  Look at the next picture for a list of all of his achievements!  What a hero! 



Flat Stanley had a wonderful time with the Waltons!  Team Lewis cannot thank you enough for all of the adventures you took him on!!  Stanley learned so much!  

No comments:

Post a Comment